XFree86 4.2

Mark Hymers markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Apr 22 11:35:29 PDT 2002

On Sun, 21, Apr, 2002 at 10:20:17PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs spoke thus..
> I just assigned bug 43 (XFree) to myself.  I do have a couple of style
> questions.  I got DRI working for my card (ATI Rage 128).  I propose to
> write up X without DRI and add a subsection about adding DRI.  The
> alternative would be to write a whole section on DRI, but I don't know
> where that should go and being right with XFree86 feels right to me.
> Thoughts?
>
> A second matter has to do with modules.  I generally don't use modules,
> but prefer to compile them into the kernel.  However DRI has a module,
> in my case r128.o that needs to be added via insmod before X starts up.
>   I'm thinking the best way is to do that in a init script.  I don't
> think it ever needs to be unloaded. The script can be a one liner (OK 2)
> that does insmod and is loaded last as S99dri in rc{2-5}.d.
> Comments?
Hmm.. Have you seen the host.def file which I proposed for the BLFS
XFree instructions?  As for DRI, I'm no expert on it.  Can you give me
an (ahem) executive summary on what the differences are for building
with/without it? (For two reasons; 1) so I can see what we should do in
the book 2) 'cos I've just ordered a new video card which will actually
support it....)

Mark

markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org