XFree86 4.2

Bill Maltby LFS Related lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Mon Apr 22 05:23:05 PDT 2002

On Sun, 21 Apr 2002, Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> I just assigned bug 43 (XFree) to myself.  I do have a couple of style
> <snip>

> A second matter has to do with modules.  I generally don't use modules,
> but prefer to compile them into the kernel.  However DRI has a module,
> in my case r128.o that needs to be added via insmod before X starts up.
>   I'm thinking the best way is to do that in a init script.  I don't
> think it ever needs to be unloaded. The script can be a one liner (OK 2)
> that does insmod and is loaded last as S99dri in rc{2-5}.d.
> Comments?

A little OT: I think maybe this highlights a problem the BLFS proj will
want to deal with down the line. It may be worth considering the add-
ition of an "rc.local" script that the end user tacks his local stuff
into. The base LFS script would have a one-liner added that calls the
rc.local as its last official act. The end-user would modify rc.local
to do his stuff.

That way, BLFS could have a "sane" base set of scripts that addressed
all the goodies considered worthy of direct BLFS inclusion, the book
could tell the user about the rc.local for any local things, and stuff
like the DRI you mention would naturally fit in there for those folks
that have similar configs.

>    -- Bruce

Bill Maltby
billm at wlmcs.com