XFree86 4.2

Jason Gurtz jason at tommyk.com
Sun Apr 21 20:58:32 PDT 2002

> [...]  I
> propose to
> write up X without DRI and add a subsection about adding DRI.

Sounds like a good idea  :)

> [...]  However DRI has
> a module,
> in my case r128.o that needs to be added via insmod before X
> starts up.
>   I'm thinking the best way is to do that in a init script.  I don't
> think it ever needs to be unloaded. The script can be a one
> liner (OK 2)
> that does insmod and is loaded last as S99dri in rc{2-5}.d. Comments?

I'm not very experienced w/ X  (don't use it much @ all) but isn't
startx just a shell script?  If so, I'd think that would  be the place
for loading something like this.  Dunno, an init script just for loading
a module seems bad IMO but, if it has to go in an init script I'd think
it should only be in rc[4,5].d as a start script; classicaly, RL's 2 and
3 are multi-user console mode.  And isn't insmod depreciated in favor of
modprobe?

just my .02USD

~Jason

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org