objprelink submission

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Fri Apr 19 10:20:06 PDT 2002

Jesse Tie-Ten-Quee wrote:
> Yo,
>
> On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 11:19:21AM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>
>>I put in objprelink and updated the qt instructions to use it.
>>I didn't update the chnagelog.  Should I have done that?
>>

> Uh, I though we were going to keep un-needed optimization out of blfs.
> This kinda fits in that category, no?
>
> I don't see a problem with adding objprelink itself.  But modifying the
> default qt instructions...especially when you have to use qt-copy,
> intead of the official qt sources, well.. c'mon now.

I don't remember that discussion, but I saw several requests for
objprelink on the lists.  I believe that techniques for optimization
beyond the CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS should be provided.  objprelink really only
  applies to QT/KDE and I realize that it only appies to Intel
architecture systems.  I can't think of many other packages offhand that
are primarily c++.

Also there are a couple of fixes in the KDE version of QT that may save
some problems down the road.

I could change the text to show the build instructions with and without
objprelink, but it seems overkill to me.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org