dhcp install

Bill Maltby LFS Related lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Thu Apr 11 08:14:11 PDT 2002

Matthew,

As an alternative to larry's resply, see below.

Bill Maltby
billm at wlmcs.com

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, Larry Lawrence wrote:

> Matthew Schloepp wrote:
>
> > , why is it calling up eth0.bak instead of eth0?
> <snip response to why eth0.bak>

> > question.  And if I don't have 'eth0' how do I go about setting it up
> > because I never remember creating one?  I'm guessing it is setup by
> > itself or something of the like.
>
> The assumed eth0 device was set up in the LFS book in the chapter "network
> scripts".  I should say the configuration was, the device is a hardware
> situation and is not covered in the book.  I'll summerize. Compile the
> driver for you card as a module. use alias in modules.conf to attach the
> driver to eth0.  Be sure you read the FAQ and throughly search the archives
> on this subject.

If you are relatively new to Linux, loadable modules/conf stuff, I
suggest that during menuconfig you compile your needed NIC driver
into the kernel. Then you don't have to turn on loadable module
support just for that, if it's not on already, and you don't have
to learn about modules.conf, etc. That can be learned when you
have your basic networking going and time is available for further
education.