dhcp install

Larry Lawrence llawre_ at excite.com
Thu Apr 11 07:12:35 PDT 2002

Matthew Schloepp wrote:

> , why is it calling up eth0.bak instead of eth0?

Looks like a sed command got into if-up.eth0 and changed all the eth0 to
eth0.bak.  Compare your if-up.eth0 and if-down.eth0 to the instructions
line by line, everything between the 'cat' command  and the finsl EOF
should be exactly the same.

> The next thing I was wondering is where do I look for the assumed 'eth0'
> device because I would have just linked it instead of asking my
> question.  And if I don't have 'eth0' how do I go about setting it up
> because I never remember creating one?  I'm guessing it is setup by
> itself or something of the like.

The assumed eth0 device was set up in the LFS book in the chapter "network
scripts".  I should say the configuration was, the device is a hardware
situation and is not covered in the book.  I'll summerize. Compile the
driver for you card as a module. use alias in modules.conf to attach the
driver to eth0.  Be sure you read the FAQ and throughly search the archives
on this subject.

Hope this helps.

Larry
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org