fcron optimization

Larry Lawrence llawre_ at excite.com
Wed Apr 10 06:18:27 PDT 2002

Ron Peters wrote:

> So it seems that the -O2 will override my CFLAGS. The -O2 comes from the
> OPTIM variable in the generated Makefile. (OPTIM = -O2 -Wall)
>
> I think that make "OPTIM=$CFLAGS -Wall" would be better. It gives me
> output like this:
>
> gcc -O3 -march=i686 -Wall  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -I. -I. -o fcron fcron.o
> subs.o save.o temp_file.o log.o database.o job.o conf.o socket.o  -lutil
> -lcrypt

I don't know if BLFS can (should) go this far, but that is not up to me.
What if the package author had determined that optimizations past -O2 were
detrimental, therefore he intentionally wrote it that his -O2 takes
precedence. CFLAGS gives us a vehicle to get your optimizations into the
equation, but not a guarantee that the package author won't override.

Other opinions please.

Larry
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org