fcron optimization

Ron Peters rep at canadawired.com
Mon Apr 8 21:31:09 PDT 2002

Hi,

I tried out the fcron change, using make "CC=gcc $CFLAGS".
This results in output like this with my CFLAGS (-O3 -march=i686):

gcc  -O3 -march=i686 -O2 -Wall  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -I. -I. -o fcron fcron.o
subs.o save.o temp_file.o log.o database.o job.o conf.o socket.o  -lutil
-lcrypt

>From the gcc man page:

If you use multiple -O options, with or without level numbers, the last such
option is the one that is effective.

So it seems that the -O2 will override my CFLAGS. The -O2 comes from the
OPTIM variable in the generated Makefile. (OPTIM = -O2 -Wall)

I think that make "OPTIM=$CFLAGS -Wall" would be better. It gives me
output like this:

gcc -O3 -march=i686 -Wall  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -I. -I. -o fcron fcron.o
subs.o save.o temp_file.o log.o database.o job.o conf.o socket.o  -lutil
-lcrypt

Thanks for all the good work. I've used a lot of the BLFS suggestions.
Ron
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org