HTML format error - Chapter 8

Bill Maltby LFS Related lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Sun Apr 7 16:45:24 PDT 2002

Mark,

You realize, of course, that using those tab settings puts
you at odds with He-Who-Walks-on-Water (Linus) who insists
that tabs=8 and more than three indents indicates that you
are incompetent. >:-) ... For 'C' only.

BTW, if tabs 8 gets you more compression, you could have it
both ways by doing a little conv script go 8 -> 4 tab settings
when you edit and 4 -> 8 for checking back in.

The *defacto* standard, for historical reasons, is tabs 8
for text. More folks will be comfortable with that than any-
thing else. I personally like four also.

I wish 'fspec" had survived the cut. It automated tab settings
in many of the original PWB utilities. Ed, pr, troff, nroff,
etc. all recognized the fspec and allowed us not to be concerned
with it.

Bill Maltby
billm at wlmcs.com