postfix and group postdrop

Phil Howard phil-blfs-dev at ipal.net
Tue Apr 2 14:35:23 PST 2002

On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 08:31:55AM -0600, Larry Lawrence wrote:

| Phil Howard wrote:
|
| > According to BLFS-BOOK-CVS-2002-04-01.txt:
| >

| =============================================================================
| > groupadd postfix &&
| > groupadd postdrop &&
| > groupadd -g 65534 nogroup &&
| > useradd -c postfix -d /dev/null -g postfix -s /bin/false postfix &&
| > useradd -c nobody -d /home -g nogroup -s /bin/bash -u 65534 nobody &&
| > chown postfix:postfix /var/mail
| >
| =============================================================================
| >
| > However, Postfix wants the group to be called "maildrop".  When I
| > did s/postdrop/maildrop/ it now installs OK (due to other issues
| > in progress, I am not going to be testing that system for a few
| > more days, at least).  Just thought I'd pass that tidbit along.
| >

| Looking at the RELEASE_NOTES file, there was a large change in the maildrop
| function on 1/6/2002, specifically no world-writable maildrop directory.
| Postfix now alwys uses the set-gid postdrop command for local mail
| submissions.
|
| Could you be more specific on your situation, were you upgrading?  What
| version were you installing?  Anything that would help me understand why
| this failed for you.

It is postfix-1.1.5.tar.gz [9ef19e0faaa0acd08603b021cdc133bf]
I got an error message about the group not being found, so I
copied some stuff in from an older Postfix I was running under
Slackware, and then it works.

If is doesn't have a maildrop directory anymore, what does it
use postdrop for?  I try to see what I can do to reproduce this.

| Phil Howard - KA9WGN |   Dallas   | http://linuxhomepage.com/ |
| phil-nospam at ipal.net | Texas, USA | http://phil.ipal.org/     |
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org