[thaz at if.rmci.net: blfs software management]

Martin Bishop marbis at subdimension.com
Sun Oct 28 05:41:17 PST 2001

On Sat, 27 Oct 2001 23:34:31 +0100
Mark Hymers <markh at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> Hi all, can we have comments on this please.
>
> ----- Forwarded message from "Mike B." <thaz at if.rmci.net> -----
>
> > Mark,
> >
> > I don't yet see a section on software
> management(uninstall/upgrade/install)
> > procedures.  Are you considering anything along these lines at the
> moment?
> > If you think it has a place in blfs, maybe forward this on the the
> list and
> > see what peoples thought and opinions are on it.  I think it's a topic
> that
> > deserves some discussion, although I know we've had many.  The problem
> with
> > the find/diff method is the more you install, the longer it takes.
> And who
> > knows if you'll configure the upgrage the same way(which would result
> in
> > broken dependencies, I've been there).  I've already submitted the
> solution
> > I've found useful to the list, but here is the url again
> > http://home.if.rmci.net/thaz/pkgutils.html.  I'd like to see something
> > similar or better in blfs, but that's my own selfishness talking  ;-)

[chop]

I don't know why there hasn't been many talks on this topic. Maintaining
an up to date system without some sort of package management is going to
be a nightmare.

I think the way pkgutils manage the install/uninstall of packages fit well
with the way LFS works. Dependencies are not included though, so the users
still has to know what goes with what. That's the only draw back that I
can see. Other than that this solution is much better than the find/diff
solution.

Then again, I'm using this solution right now so I'm totally biased :)
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org