RFC: restructuring OUTLIN [was RE: Getting Involved Web Page]

Henning Rohde rohde.henning at gmx.net
Wed Oct 24 13:29:36 PDT 2001

Hi everybody,

Lukas Gruber wrote:
>> From: Mark Hymers [mailto:markh at linuxfromscratch.org]
>> Comments please...
>
> outline.shtml other:
> "One or two things that I don't have a clue where to put:
> (suggestions welcome)"
> "MySQL, screen [/usr]"
>
> why dont put it in "Server daemons"?

What about setting up a framework that distinguishes by "server-" and
"client-software":

IMHO there is no need for a special section about mail, what do you think
about the framework below?

Forgive me some ASCII-art:

Basic Networking: Connecting to networks
        Requesting one's IP via DHCP; dhcpcd
        Importing information via YP / NIS / NIS+
        DialUp links: connecting via
                PPP-uplink: pppd + chat, wvdial
                PPPOE uplink: pppd + pppoe.patch / pppoed.roaring penguin
                ISDN uplink: ipppd
                ? SLIP-uplink ?
Client networking software
        Intermediate services and libraries
                openssl         [instead of putting it into Shared Libraries]
                Procmail
        Setting up a _personal_ firewall
        netkit-combo (clients only)
        http-clients: links + lynx      ? + mozilla ?
        openSSH: only client-install, how to use keys
        Installing a Mail software
                MUA's: mutt, pine
                Fetchmail
        Samba (client only)
Extra Networking Software
        traceroute
        whois
        wget
        ncftp
        bitchx, xchat
Connecting networks
        Setting up a "real firewall" / "masqerading Router"
        DialIn server:  pppd
                        ipppd
                        ? slip + plip ?
        ? tunnelling via ssh ?
        ? tunnelling via ptpp ?
Servers & daemons
        Setting up a firewall for a BusyBox
        Intermediate services and libraries
                tcp-wrappers
                daemontools
                XREF for
                        Procmail
                        openssl
        openSSH: sshd
        xinetd
                securing & running netkit-combo daemons
        NIS-server
        NFS-server
        MTA's:  postfix, qmail, sendmail
        Basic nameserver configurations
                bind8 / bind9
                djbdns
        Samba:  acting as a server for a workgroup
                - " -   a domain-controller
        Apache
                PHP
                https: TSL / SSL
        recommended FTP-daemons
        ? IRC-relays ?

The reason why I'd like to change the current framework is, that the
current structure does IMHO not follow any compelling structure, I'd like
to make it a bit more stringent.

Do you think that this is worth it?

Any thoughts are highly apprechiated - please do not flame,     ;-)

        Henning
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org