/usr vs /usr/local

Jeff Bauman jeff at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Oct 20 16:31:40 PDT 2001

On Sun, Oct 21, 2001 at 12:22:34AM +0200, Henning Rohde wrote:
> Jeff, you posted the argument that putting all stuff into /usr would help
> to get shorter install-instructions.
> Sorry, but I'd like to disagree: in the appendix A of the current BLFS-book
> there are more applications / libraries, that need a parameter for
> "./configure " to make them install into '/usr' than there are with
> '--prefix=/usr/local'.

No need to be sorry -- this is a reasonable point.

> A compromise might be, that we define a variable, called PREFIX, that is
> set at the beginning to either /usr or /usr/local, or, as Andrew proposed
> it, to /usr/site.
> Now we could refer to
> "./configure --prefix=$PREFIX --localstatedir=/var --sysconfdir=/etc ...",
> IMHO even the worst case, PREFIX is not set, won't harm too much.

This sounds to me like a good solution to the problem. It allows maximum
flexibility and doesn't cost much in terms of effort. We'll need to go
back and do a bit of editing on the existing instructions, but I don't
think it will be too painful. Other opinions?

--
Jeff Bauman
jeff at linuxfromscratch.org

"All firm belief is a sickness."