/usr vs /usr/local

Henning Rohde rohde.henning at gmx.net
Sat Oct 20 15:22:34 PDT 2001

Hi Andrew,
hi Jeff,
hi everybody else,

jbauman at adsl-63-193-249-142.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 20, 2001 at 02:44:20PM +0200, Andrew McMurry wrote:
>> Since many people ask where they should install packages after the
>> original LFS, I have written something on the subject that may be useful
>> for the BLFS book.  What do people think?
>
> Andrew,
> I think this is excellent -- well written, clear, and to the point. I'm
> all for it being included as part of the BLFS text.

Wow, very good, I, too, like it!

In reference to the discussion with the topic "BLFS-paths" I'd like to
propose that the BLFS-book should propose aspect (D).

There are many of us who follow Gerard's request to test some new
LFS-release: I highly apprechiate that one features that no windoofs has:
you can re-install the core OS without any need to re-install all the
applications!

Jeff, you posted the argument that putting all stuff into /usr would help
to get shorter install-instructions.
Sorry, but I'd like to disagree: in the appendix A of the current BLFS-book
there are more applications / libraries, that need a parameter for
"./configure " to make them install into '/usr' than there are with
'--prefix=/usr/local'.
I have not counted them, so there's no statistical summary, but my memories
tell me, that, nearly whenever I did a "./configure --help", I got told
that '/usr/local' would be the default prefix.

A compromise might be, that we define a variable, called PREFIX, that is
set at the beginning to either /usr or /usr/local, or, as Andrew proposed
it, to /usr/site.
Now we could refer to
"./configure --prefix=$PREFIX --localstatedir=/var --sysconfdir=/etc ...",
IMHO even the worst case, PREFIX is not set, won't harm too much.

BTW, I don't know if /var and /etc have to be stated everytime, but
personally I do never a "./configure ..." without them.

Just my charge of EUR 0.02,

        Henning

--
"Ein Patriot ist einer, der sein Vaterland liebt. Ein Nationalist ist einer,
der die Vaterländer der anderen verachtet" (Johannes Rau)
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org