BLFS Paths

Mark Hymers markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Oct 20 15:21:41 PDT 2001

On Thu, 18, Oct, 2001 at 08:27:20PM -0700, Jeff Bauman spoke thus..
> On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 06:06:08PM +0200, Henning Rohde wrote:
> > Although I know that I chose in my firewalling-hint to give the advice to
> > install iptables into /usr, I was recently convinced to change it to
> > /usr/local!     Funny, isn't it?
> >
> > The reason that made me convert was, that now I'm able to export /usr/local
> > via nfs to some 20 clients: they're based a common basis-install, any
> > applications are only installed once on the fileserver.
> > This concept is at easiest realizable if we stick with putting anything
> > after LFS into /usr/local, if not /opt.
>
> Hi Henning,
>
> Wie gehts?
>
> I think we have several people, myself included, who think installing in
> /usr will make our lives easier. Some of the benefits are that it
> keeps the instructions shorter, and you never have think about whether
> it's in /usr or /usr/local.
>
> Of course, there's nothing stopping anyone who wants to from installing
> any software anywhere they like. My guess is most of us don't have 20
> nfs clients that they want to export BLFS packages to. I think it makes
> sense to write the instructions in such a way that they make the most
> sense for the most people.
>
> That said, it may make sense to include some mention that installing any
> packages in /usr/local that you might like to export via NFS might make
> your life easier.
I think we've solved this problem by including the page in Chapter 2:
The /usr versus /usr/local debate.  We now provide all BLFS instructions
as for /usr but we've given people the arguments for and against using
both.

Hope people agree with this as I hope we can stick to it as BLFS policy!

Mark

--
Mark Hymers					 BLFS Editor
markh at linuxfromscratch.org