/usr vs /usr/local

Mark Hymers markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Oct 20 13:05:46 PDT 2001

On Sat, 20, Oct, 2001 at 10:43:09AM -0700, Jeff Bauman spoke thus..
> On Sat, Oct 20, 2001 at 02:44:20PM +0200, Andrew McMurry wrote:
> > Since many people ask where they should install packages after the
> > original LFS, I have written something on the subject that may be useful
> > for the BLFS book.  What do people think?
>
> Andrew,
> I think this is excellent -- well written, clear, and to the point. I'm
> all for it being included as part of the BLFS text.

I agree.  I'm just about to put it in the book in the first part.  I've
added a paragraph to the end which states (slightly incorrectly atm)
that BLFS instructions will install packages all in /usr UNLESS
otherwise stated specifically (i.e. the openssl man pages go into
/usr/local/share/man because otherwise they overwrite some VERY
important standard man pages such as passwd.1).

Hope this looks ok with everyone (don't forget to give it till tomorrow
for the HTML version on the website to update).

Thanks Andrew.

Mark

--
Mark Hymers					 BLFS Editor