A few points and questions

Mark Hymers markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Oct 14 06:24:17 PDT 2001

On Wed, 10, Oct, 2001 at 03:17:30PM -0400, Jason Gurtz spoke thus..
> > > [...] I think we should standardize on /usr.
>
> I concur
>
> > [...]However, I believe that things that use
> > their own hierarchy or are major subsystems in their
> > own right (KDE, GNOME, BerkelyDB, mySQL, Apache, etc.)
> > should go into their own /opt directory so that their
> > hierarchy stays intact and doesn't interfere with anything
> > else on the system.
>
> Areed with this also.

Alight.  I'll go with that then.
Policy to be: /usr normally, /opt for non-standard stuff
Agreed everyone?

> > > I think xinetd should be part of 1.0 since it's necessary
> > > for so many
> > > other things.
Is xinetd not in the Outline? (/me checks)

> > > Traceroute, since it's already done, and is a very handy item when
> > > debugging network problems, I believe should be in 1.0.
> > >

> > I agree.
> >

> Me to.
It's already in there so it'll definately stay in for 1.0.

> > > Mark, did you come to any opinions on cron versions? I could not get
> > > dcron installed here -- it wouldn't compile. Do you know of
> > > any tricks that have to be performed to get that to happen?
>
> What about fcron?  I've seen that the author definatly is keeping it
> updated pretty frequently.  I think it now even has a "legecy crontab
> syntax" support in it
I didn't come to an opinion.  Let's have a look at all the alternatives.
I think fcron seems to be kept updated so lets try that one.

> Alsa can definatly wait IMO.
Are we sure about this?  I'll try and write the instructions for it when
I get time.  For a desktop IMHO, it's kinda essential!  (I much prefer
the alsa drivers to the kernel ones; i'll be really glad when they
replace the current kernel sound drivers during the 2.5 kernel series).

Mark

PS - Can this thread *please* move to blfs-dev now ;-)

--
Mark Hymers					 BLFS Project Leader
markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org