Locations of texts relevant for firewalling [was Re: Changes to Appendix A/iptables]

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Oct 9 17:58:30 PDT 2001

On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 10:48:29PM +0200, Henning Rohde wrote:
> I had to realize that appearently I can't state a definite line-break in
> docbook-xml, except for the technique you mentioned:
> 	<para><literallayout>{many lines of text,
> 	where every line is to be _less_ than
> 	80 characters long}</literallayout></para>
>
> I'd like to use them as:
> 	<para>{some few sentences}<literrallayout>
> 	</literallayout>{another few sentences}</para}.

That just doesn't work as expected. <literallayout> is designed to work
within a paragraph and as a paragraph on it's own. Defining two
<literallayout>'s in a row, just means you get two paragraphs.

> Could this be avoided anyhow?
> Could it be possible that we could the used definitions in a more
> optimal way?

You'd have to rewrite the DocBook DTD which results in it not being DocBook
anymore so you'd have to ship your DTD with your files.

How to do this, I don't know. I've never attempted to rewrite it.

> If we consider <tagA> and <tagB> to cause the same effect, am I to use
> <tagB>, that would be semantically correct in the actual context, or
> <tagA>, that's already mentioned in conventions.xml?

Personally I like consistency: use the same tag combination in the same
situations. But, if the desired output can only be achieved using a
different tag, so be it. It's the output in the end that counts.

But that's what I want for the LFS-Book. What goes in BLFS is up to Mark of
course, he may have his own wishes.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org