[blfs-book] Files in BLFS svn missing on anduin

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 09:44:18 PST 2012

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Bruce Dubbs wrote these words on 12/12/12 11:18 CST:
>> bdubbs at linuxfromscratch.org wrote:
>>
>>> Missing Net-DNS-0.70.tar.gz
>>
>> Could not find this at http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/O/OL/OLAF/
>>
>> The latest there is Net-DNS-0.68.tar.gz
>>
>> I did find it at http://www.net-dns.org/download/
>
> It is also on the CPAN modules download page.
>

>> I think we should publish the md5sums for the perl-modules in the book
>> like we do for all the other packages.
>
> I was going to add those, but after I sent the email to -dev about
> completely eliminating version numbers from all the Perl Modules, I thought
> for certain that most would agree it was the right thing to do. However, you
> did not respond and Ken had a small issue with the idea, so I suppose you
> think that we should keep the version numbers, although it sort of makes
> no sense because the dependency modules versions and md5sums are not listed.
>
> I will add the md5sums for the packages that have version numbers.

I can see it either way, but not having the package link and md5sums is
different that the rest of the book.  I'm not objecting, but just
pointing that out.

In some places on the perl modules page we have the links point to
specific files and others point to the download page.  It's just not
consistent.

Perhaps we ought to reorganize the page and have the build and install
instructions at the top of the page.  I would also be in favor of
reversing the standard and alternate installation procedures.  If the
instructions are at the top, we can make all links point to the
respective pages and remove version info.  I would then remove the perl
modules from anduin as we wouldn't have a way to know what was up to date.