[blfs-book] r9000 - trunk/bootscripts/blfs/init.d

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Nov 26 19:16:10 PST 2011

On 11/26/2011 05:06 PM, Wayne Blaszczyk wrote:
> In the above example you have
> 'Provides: $svnserve', I don't see the connection between svn and mysql.

I missed that part, that was obviously a copy and paste error. $svnserve
is not correct, it should likely be svnserve but it is not registered
yet, which is kind of odd. I'll take care of getting it registered if
that is what is decided (daemon name is most appropriate). Anyway, The
point of the Provides and {Required,Should}-{Start,Stop} keywords, is to
build dependency information so that scripts can be installed and we do
not have to worry about selecting a suitable number to drop it into the
/etc/init.d/rc?.d directory. If you've installed the initd-tools
package, you can simply execute /usr/lib/lsb/install_initd
/etc/init.d/$whatever and have all of the scripts reordered by
dependency information. The same holds true for any package that
provides its own boot script, ideally, we no longer need to write our
own (though most in the wild have not actually followed the spec and
still rely on echo). Start-up order is determined without the installer
having to know anything about the system it is running on, whether it is
sysvinit, runit, systemd, whatever.

One very common mistake when figuring out dependencies is to assume that
facilities in the {Required,Should}-Stop field means that the listed
facility should be stopped when the dependent script runs, when in fact
it means just the opposite, that the facility should still be running
when the script is run. This is to support parallel (asynchronous??)
boot methods.

-- DJ Lucas