Re: r8950 - in trunk/BOOK: . book general/sysutils introduction/important introduction/welcome networking/netprogs postlfs/config postlfs/security

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Nov 9 12:11:14 PST 2011

Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:

>I understand your concern, but is there anything that either nis of nfs
>
>offers that we can't get via other packages?  Samba can certainly
>replace the nfs functionality.  I don't know of anyone who uses nis any
>
>more, although I suspect there are some who use it just out of habit.

Out of habit, IDK...but being able to use it out of the box without installing anything else on a base LFS seems somewhat compelling to me. Please note that I do not do this myself, just playing devil's advocate here. It just seems a little bit silly to ditch those packages completely when it is a relatively easy fix. Maybe just add a note and point to wiki instructions if nothing else until upstream blesses us with a working solution. Of course, we no longer have to keep {,x}inetd instructions in mind when configuring a package. Couple of boot scripts might have to be added, swat w/ stunnel for instance.

--DJ