r8826 - Recommendations

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jan 19 15:18:11 PST 2011

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 04:09:12PM -0600, Randy McMurchy wrote:

> So bottom line is I think DESTDIR is something we should stay away from
> due to the tremendous amount of work it would take to bring all the
> packages in line, and figure out nuances of each one. In a destdir
> installation, even root will not copy suid files or files owned by users
> other than root properly unless you use cp --preserve=mode,ownership.

 I thought we were going to move to DESTDIR as a concession to
people who use [ insert deprecatory comment here ] various forms of
package management ?

 I've been noting in the wiki where DESTDIR isn't accepted, or where
INSTALL_ROOT is required, but I'll be happy to stop doing that -
I've certainly seen some "only root can do this" packages.

 BTW (not aimed at anyone in particular) - when adding or updating -
please check if the link to the wiki works : there is occasionally
useful information there, and it's nice to give users a page they
can edit (ideally, in the correct hierarchy to match the book).

ĸen