r8826 - Recommendations

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jan 19 13:42:09 PST 2011

thomas at linuxfromscratch.org wrote these words on 01/19/11 14:28 CST:
> Added:
>    trunk/BOOK/general/prog/cmake.xml
>    trunk/BOOK/general/sysutils/libarchive.xml

I'm not sure that cmake qualifies as a programming language, or tool.
To me, it is more of a system utility (in this case a utility used to
install packages). Very similar to Apache Ant.

> +
> +    <para>The <application>CMake</application> package contains a modern toolset used
> +    for generating Makefiles. It is a successor of the auto-generated

Just FYI, "Makefiles" should be wrapped in <filename> tags and configure is a
command we run from the command line (even though it is a script) and should
be wrapped in <command> tags.

> +
> +
> +    <para>CMake supports DESTDIR in the generated Makefiles as well as in the Makefile
> +    used to build CMake itself.</para>

Again, typically "CMake" <application>, Makefiles <filename> should be wrapped
in tags. One day we may even use the <application> tag to actually do something. :-)

> +    <para>The <application>libarchive</application> library provides a single interface for
> +    reading/writing various compession formats.</para>

s/compession/compression/

> +    <para role="recommended">
> +    <xref linkend="attr"/>,
> +    <xref linkend="libxml2"/> or <xref linkend="expat"/>,
> +    <xref linkend="xz-utils"/>,
> +    <xref linkend="openssl"/>

Just out of curiosity, why do you recommend all those dependencies?

> +    <para>libarchive supports DESTDIR installation.</para>

I really don't think this is a good idea. Because for the other
400 packages in BLFS, one would think they do NOT support DESTDIR
because it doesn't say it does. Almost EVERY package supports
DESTDIR, we should be marking the ones that do NOT support it.

Thanks for the hard work, Thomas, it is appreciated.

rmlscsi: [bogomips 1003.24] [GNU ld version 2.16.1] [gcc (GCC) 4.0.3]
15:12:00 up 6 days, 4:18, 1 user, load average: 1.25, 0.98, 0.56