r8764 commit

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jan 4 06:38:16 PST 2011

DJ Lucas wrote these words on 01/04/11 01:38 CST:
> On 01/03/2011 06:28 PM, randy at linuxfromscratch.org wrote:
>> Log:
>> Removed the obsolete LZMA package from BLFS because LFS now installs the updated xz-utils package
>
> Umm..are we targeting simultaneous 6.8 release now? Althought, I think
> we should, if not, please put it back. :-)

I meant to do two other things yesterday.
1) Create a little page with one paragraph for XZ Utils, that contains
a link to the LFS instructions.
2) Change the Yelp instructions to point to this new page.

I removed what we had because it was for the obsolete LZMA package. I
just forgot to put the new XZ page in.

As far as our target goes, anything anyone can do to update packages
to more recent versions is fine with me. However, one must be careful
that other packages in BLFS do not become broken with any update.

Case in point. It would probably be unwise to update GLib or GTK+ to
the next release level (screws up GNOME). Typically (as you know),
updates in the macro or minor versions (package-major.minor.macro) are
typically okay. For instance updating tcl from 8.5.8 to 8.5.9 is going
to be fine 99% of the time.

Here are package updates that seem to work so far with me, but I have not
finished building GNOME, so they haven't been put in the book yet.

Newest cairo
Newest BDB
Python 2.7x (NOT 3.x)!
D-Bus-1.2.24
Newest Gstreamer and plugins
Newest Alsa
Newest OpenSSH
Newest OpenSSL

There are a few others. The way I look at it is if something minor breaks
using an LFS-6.7 platform during a BLFS update, we'll figure out a
backport or something. At this point, probably any BLFS update is better
than the version in the book (not all cases).

rmlscsi: [bogomips 1003.25] [GNU ld version 2.16.1] [gcc (GCC) 4.0.3]
08:17:00 up 8 days, 11:14, 1 user, load average: 0.01, 0.01, 0.00