BLFS: Where does it stand?

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop73 at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 31 06:48:23 PDT 2010

On 31 March 2010 00:10, Randy McMurchy <randy at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> Randy McMurchy wrote these words on 03/30/10 18:06 CST:
>> Which brings the question. Use the newest version (0.5.1?,
>> which is within the last few months), or a pull from GIT?. I'm inclined
>> to use the official release.
>
> I was thinking about FFMpeg. Sorry about the confusion.

 I didn't notice that 0.5.1 had been released!  Been using 0.5 for ages,
and thinking I probably ought to move to a snapshot for future builds.
Oh well.  My one insight is that the version of x264 (I don't think that is
 in the book) needs to be compatible with the ffmpeg being used.

 OTOH, I only built most of this stuff to ameliorate my youtube
experience, and that is now generally unusable without the
adobe binary tarball.  One one of my machines I've gone over
to the dark side and installed that.  On the other I've been
trying to get totem's youtube plugin working, but so far without
success (and if it is like the iplayer plugin, it may yet turn out to be
32-bit only).

 Meanwhile, I'm still mostly updating my buildscripts.  Nowadays
I'm only building on x86_64, and LFS-6.6, so my space/time
measurements probably won't match yours anyway.

ĸen
--
After tragedy, and farce, "OMG poneys!"