BLFS: Where does it stand?

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 18:18:42 PDT 2010

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Agathoklis D. Hatzimanikas wrote these words on 03/30/10 17:38 CST:
>> Oh well, it's the substance that matters. And you did a great deal of work
>> in the last days, Randy, so doesn't really matters.
>
> Thanks, Ag. I'm just essentially documenting what I've already done,
> and then redone. BLFS is so huge. It is a monster.

Thanks for all your work Randy.  It has become a monster.

> All the servers
> I feel pretty good about. GNOME I feel good about because Wayne seems
> like a smart guy and has worked a lot on GNOME. Xorg, not sure, DJ
> needs to report.

I don't stay up to date with xorg, but 7.4 seemed to work pretty well.

> KDE, I have no idea. I went to install Qt4 and had it all done except
> it showed that I needed GStreamer for any any future decent audio/video.

I use Qt4 for development a lot.  I don't need GStreamer though for what
I do.  It builds and works fine for me.

> KDE3 is dead, but probably still very usable. KDE4 sounds like it
> doesn't have all the kinks worked out yet, so it sort of poses a
> dilemma, but not large.

KDE4 is large because of all the dependencies that we don't have in the
book.  I've not built KDE4 because I tried it via other distros and
didn't like the look and feel.  I still use KDE3, but the main app that
I use there is konsole.  There are a couple of other apps I find
convenient: kicker, kruler, and ksnapshot mostly.