r8350 - in trunk/BOOK: . introduction/welcome postlfs/security

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Mar 23 17:59:59 PDT 2010

Agathoklis D. Hatzimanikas wrote these words on 03/23/10 13:25 CST:
> On Tue, Mar 23, at 11:49 Randy McMurchy wrote:
>> +    <!-- There is no need to add this switch. Why would anyone not want to
>> +         use the system-installed copy instead of the mini-tasn included
>> +         inthe gnutls sources?
>

> Can you please check if libtasn1 is a required dependency or not?
> I'm not in a position to verify it, but if it's required, then with that change
> the libtasn1 should be moved to the required dependencies.

Libtans1 is not a required dependency as there is a minitasn1
(terminology from the GnuTLS package maintainers) packaged into the
GnuTLS sources which will automatically stand in if you don't have the
real libtans1 libraries installed.

My point is that I would think that using the more-maintained libtasn1
packaged library, versus the minitasn1 library packaged in the GnuTSL
sources, is a better solution. Why would we want to provide a message
to the readers to do something that sort of contradicts the strategy
that using external libraries is preferred?

The merits and costs of using external libraries versus the same
library packaged with sources is a subject that is complex and deep
and probably beyond the scope of this topic.

But essentially I removed a "suggestion" ("command explanations")
that said "Don't use your external libraries, use the ones packaged
with GnuTLS". All users probably issue ./configure --help
and look at available options. I just thought that our putting it
in the "command explanations" section somewhat encourages using it,
which I think is a bad suggestion.

Comments are welcome. Perhaps we don't have the same perception of the
actual meanning of "--with-included-libtasn1". Let's discuss.

rmlscsi: [bogomips 1003.22] [GNU ld version 2.16.1] [gcc (GCC) 4.0.3]
19:32:00 up 86 days, 23:40, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00