r8283 - in trunk/BOOK: . gnome/add gnome/core introduction/welcome

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Mar 1 08:08:23 PST 2010

Bruce Dubbs wrote these words on 03/01/10 09:45 CST:
> Randy and I have a different opinion.  I think the editor making the
> change should make a judgment call.  If a package is significantly
> enhanced with a dependent package, then I think  a recommendation is
> appropriate.  Any reasonable user knows that recommended != required.

What is "significantly enhanced". Is there a criteria to use, or just
if it is significant to *that particular editor*? (DJ and I see it one
way, you see it another way Bruce. No big deal. :-) )

However, the libjpeg thing is sort of a moot point. I *know* it is
recommended for the GTK+-2 package, which is part of GNOME. This
recommendation is by the GTK+ dev team. We followed. There is an
explicit note on the GTK+ page about this. So for all practical
purposes, libjpeg is already installed.

So if someone has not installed libjpeg by the time the get around to
GNOME additional packages, their installation is probably not working
properly anyway. I would keep it recommended, simply because we have
already recommended it in at least one place.

rmlscsi: [bogomips 1003.22] [GNU ld version 2.16.1] [gcc (GCC) 4.0.3]
10:02:00 up 64 days, 15:10, 4 users, load average: 0.44, 0.11, 0.03