[BLFS Trac] #2843: Fcron uses Pam by default

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 16:20:11 PST 2010

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Agathoklis D. Hatzimanikas wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 08, at 03:34 Randy McMurchy wrote:
>>> Please reopen this ticket. See http://cblfs.cross-lfs.org/index.php/Fcron
>> That's something new, but still I fail to understand the connection.
>>
>> But, please respond to the ticket itself, so that will be easier to
>> evaluate any comments and references.
>> In any case this has to be reported upstream, if it hasn't been done yet.
>
> I do not have access to the ticket system at the present time. Please
> reopen the ticket as it appears to be a legitimate issue with BLFS. Note
> that in my opinion it is not a matter to be sent upstream as the Fcron
> devs already know that PAM is the default. It is our job to adapt to
> what the upstream devs feel is best.
>
> But perhaps I don't know the whole scope of the issue. Is there not
> a flag we can pass on the ./configure line that can suppress PAM
> installation if it is not installed? If not, then a patch upstream to
> add that flag would probably be accepted, however filing it as a "bug"
> upstream would probably just be closed. The devs must expect that PAM
> is installed (RH, for example). That is their prerogative.
>
> I am strictly going on memory from when the ticket was originally
> entered by Robert. I very well could be wrong. It sounded as if our
> instructions don't account for the fact that PAM may not be installed
> and is looked for by default. If that *is* the case, then we need to
> address it.

I can confirm worksforme.  I do not have pam installed and the
instructions work just fine.  When configuring, you get:

run in debug mode by default :      no
PAM :                               no
SELinux :                           no
Run without root's rights :         no
Load average support :              yes
compile fcrondyn :                  yes

If Robert confirms that he has PAM: no in configure and still gets the
error, then we need to investigate.  I recommend leaving the ticket
closed for now.