[BLFS Trac] #2843: Fcron uses Pam by default

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Jan 8 15:31:51 PST 2010

Agathoklis D. Hatzimanikas wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 08, at 03:34 Randy McMurchy wrote:
>> Please reopen this ticket. See http://cblfs.cross-lfs.org/index.php/Fcron
>
> That's something new, but still I fail to understand the connection.
>
> But, please respond to the ticket itself, so that will be easier to
> evaluate any comments and references.
> In any case this has to be reported upstream, if it hasn't been done yet.

I do not have access to the ticket system at the present time. Please
reopen the ticket as it appears to be a legitimate issue with BLFS. Note
that in my opinion it is not a matter to be sent upstream as the Fcron
devs already know that PAM is the default. It is our job to adapt to
what the upstream devs feel is best.

But perhaps I don't know the whole scope of the issue. Is there not
a flag we can pass on the ./configure line that can suppress PAM
installation if it is not installed? If not, then a patch upstream to
add that flag would probably be accepted, however filing it as a "bug"
upstream would probably just be closed. The devs must expect that PAM
is installed (RH, for example). That is their prerogative.

I am strictly going on memory from when the ticket was originally
entered by Robert. I very well could be wrong. It sounded as if our
instructions don't account for the fact that PAM may not be installed
and is looked for by default. If that *is* the case, then we need to
address it.

I will try to gain some access to the ticket system, and enter info
there. Sorry for my lack of participation and effort...Times are busy
right now.