r8192 - trunk/BOOK/postlfs/security

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jan 6 23:47:17 PST 2010

On 01/05/2010 10:10 PM, ag at linuxfromscratch.org wrote:

> -<para>ENV_SUPATH is no longer supported.  You must create
> -            a valid<filename>/root/.bashrc</filename>  file to provide a
> -            modified path for the super-user.</para>
> +<para>The ENV_SUPATH option used to modify root's default path
> +            does not work with PAM. You have to set the path in root's login
> +            scripts instead.
> +</para>
>             </note>

Actually, the details are fuzzy as it's been quite a while, so I'll
guard my comments with "IIRC."  ENV_SUPATH was used by a su linked to
PAM prior to PLD's maintenance of Shadow, and before it went to Debian's
Alioth.  The choice of words for that comment was intended for users of
old versions of Shadow/PAM.  Additionally, 'su {-,-l,--login}' is a
login shell, but not 'su', so .bashrc is incorrect as well as "login
scripts."  Personally, I like the original better, but corrected with
"initialization scripts" instead of ".bashrc" as it caters to the older
users.

-- DJ Lucas