r7883 - in trunk/BOOK: . general/genutils introduction/welcome

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jul 27 16:14:39 PDT 2009

Ken Moffat wrote these words on 07/27/09 16:03 CST:
> 2009/7/27 Wayne Blaszczyk <wblaszcz at bigpond.net.au>:
>
>> Sorry about that, I'll triple check next time. Fixed.
>> With the lfs65_checked;, I'm still building against 6.4.
>
>  And there I was, thinking I couldn't update anything now
> because I'm still on 6.4.

I took Wayne's comment to mean that the reason he did not include the
lfs65_checked is because he is still running 6.4. At least I hope so!

But that doesn't mean you can't update packages, Ken. Even though you
have a 6.4, you could update a package, *not* include the lfs65_checked
and the package is current but untested. At least it was updated and
only needs checking.

It will be trivial to run a grep against the XML and find out which
packages are not lfs65_checked. Towards the end of our release cycle,
we'll run a grep, find out what needs to be checked, and someone will
build it. At least I think it would be easier to simply make sure it
builds and works than it would be to actually do the update and still
make sure it builds and works.

Perhaps a case by case basis. Some packages are no-brainers. Some
which interact with many others we may want to be more careful of.

rmlscsi: [bogomips 1003.25] [GNU ld version 2.16.1] [gcc (GCC) 4.0.3]
18:08:00 up 21 days, 6:36, 1 user, load average: 0.11, 0.03, 0.01