r7888 - in trunk/BOOK: . introduction/welcome postlfs/security

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jul 27 12:10:58 PDT 2009

Guy Dalziel wrote these words on 07/27/09 13:42 CST:
> On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 01:22:40PM -0500, Randy McMurchy wrote:
>> Just FYI. I put this package in the book, and my preference is that
>> dependencies are listed one per line, as it makes them easier to
>> distinguish. Just personal preference, but keep in mind that going
>> behind one editor and changing his work simply for a different
>> aesthetic look to the XML is, well, um, ...
>
> This was not a case of personal preference, I was simply attempting to
> conserve space.

Lack of space is not an issue. :-)

>> Just out of curiosity, why did you make it recommended? It was perfectly
>> obvious the way it was in the optional section.
>
> I put it there because I've learned, through previous discussions, that
> a recommended dependency is an optional one that would cause you to
> loose important functionality if not installed.

In some cases. If it can be fully explained in the Optional section
then I've always put it there. I remember when Bruce put gimp-print
in the recommended section of GIMP. I disagreed because as it was
very obvious in the description in the optional section, if you
wanted to print, install gimp-print.

But in your case here, perhaps it is the right thing because the
two packages in question are not that common and folks probably
don't have much knowledge about them.

> If we include optional programs in the index, then I shall put it back.
> I was simply attempting to cover the basic package, and cover
> extended functionality outside of that.

Please do, and here's why. Say someone builds a BLFS box and installs
an optional program. A year later, he sees the program in /usr/bin and
wonders "What package did that come from?".

If it's in the index he can get the answer, if it's not there, it is
difficult to determine what package installs it (sans package-mgt case)

rmlscsi: [bogomips 1003.25] [GNU ld version 2.16.1] [gcc (GCC) 4.0.3]
14:04:00 up 21 days, 2:32, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.06