r7888 - in trunk/BOOK: . introduction/welcome postlfs/security

Guy Dalziel krendoshazin at dementedfury.org
Mon Jul 27 11:42:38 PDT 2009

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 01:22:40PM -0500, Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Just FYI. I put this package in the book, and my preference is that
> dependencies are listed one per line, as it makes them easier to
> distinguish. Just personal preference, but keep in mind that going
> behind one editor and changing his work simply for a different
> aesthetic look to the XML is, well, um, ...

This was not a case of personal preference, I was simply attempting to
conserve space. I noticed that several items would fit within the 80
character boundry and so I rearranged them a little. The same goes for
the userspace text, I was attempting to keep it within a limit of 75
character since you said earlier that this is what we should do.

> Just out of curiosity, why did you make it recommended? It was perfectly
> obvious the way it was in the optional section.

I put it there because I've learned, through previous discussions, that
a recommended dependency is an optional one that would cause you to
loose important functionality if not installed.

> I've always included information about the optionally installed
> programs as this puts it in the index. So if someone does build
> the program, it won't be found in the index, which could be
> confusing.

If we include optional programs in the index, then I shall put it back.
I was simply attempting to cover the basic package, and cover
extended functionality outside of that.