[BLFS Trac] #2876: Xorg shell requirements

Guy Dalziel krendoshazin at dementedfury.org
Tue Jul 21 08:16:32 PDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 09:19:12AM -0500, DJ Lucas wrote:
> double quoted (" ") for which I haven't looked yet.  What about the
> environment switch, or maybe something is broken with zsh?

It's been broken for quite a while, I had just completely forgotten
about it as I compiled X using BASH when I first booted the system. The
problem itself isn't the variable but rather the fact that configure
treats the entire thing like anything after --prefix is an argument.
Looking at the Makefile after configure shows 'prefix = /usr/X11
--sysconfdir=/etc --mandir=/usr/X11/share/man --localstatedir=/var', and
that's where the problem lies.
Using the values themselves - rather than $XORG_CONFIG - with configure
works perfectly. Therefore, if the variable is set properly and the
commands work by normal use, then the only thing I can think of is that,
for some reason, ZSH isn't properly passing the value to configure. The
fact that it works on BASH strengthens this theory; './configure $(echo
$XORG_CONFIG)' also works.

(forgot to cc blfs-book)