r7583 - in trunk/bootscripts: . contrib contrib/lsb-v3 contrib/lsb-v3/blfs contrib/lsb-v3/blfs/init.d contrib/lsb-v3/sysconfig contrib/lsb-v3/sysconfig/network-devices contrib/lsb-v3/sysconfig/network-devices/services

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Sep 7 14:21:12 PDT 2008

Dan Nicholson wrote:
> I don't think $network is really needed here. If someone has
> $remote_fs, then it should take care of the network dependency. All we
> really care is that /dev and /usr are still mounted. In that case, I
> think $local_fs is probably required to ensure that /usr is still
> there.

An age old argument, not quite vim vs emacs, but past precedence is that
soft $remote_fs ensures /usr is there.   For BLFS, it's always been not
to start programs in /usr before at least network was started.  gpm is
an error in the current book, that I introduced IIRC (and just noticed
the other day when using install_initd to do auto ordering for the first
time.   $local_fs should still be a requirement, but was lost when I
trimmed the fat from LFS-bootscripts.  I took the hard dependency out of
network.

<SNIP>

Yeah, there are definitely no guarantees on the deps yet, I just wanted
to get the scripts in there for people to see.  Lots of work to do on
the deps yet.  I'll add $local_fs to the network script to define the
/var (and local /usr) requirement.  Everyone should feel free to drop in
any scripts that you have handy or change anything in the contrib that
you see fit.

-- DJ Lucas