r7607 - in trunk/BOOK: . introduction/welcome x/lib

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Nov 26 13:29:44 PST 2008

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> dj at linuxfromscratch.org wrote:
>
>> Log:
>> Updated to Mesa-7.2.
>>
>> +    <warning><para>Mesa's GLUT library in not released under a free software
>> +    license.  Permission is grated by the copyright holder for its use with
>> +    in the Mesa distribution. <xref linkend="freeglut"/> is strongly
>> +    recommended over Mesa.</para></warning>
>>

> Can we not make this a warning, but perhaps a note instead? I don't
> think it should be a warning. If we are strongly recommending to use
> Freeglut, why are we even mentioning MesaGlut on the page. Shouldn't
> we completely remove anything about it and simply make FreeGlut an
> optional dependency?
>
> Additionally there are two typos:
>
> library in not (is)
> with in (within)
>

>> +    <para>Build <application>MesaLib</application> by running the following
>> +    commands:</para>
>>
>> -    <para>Install <application>MesaLib</application> by running the following
>> -    command:</para>
>>

> Why is this being changed? Let's leave it as it was. Install is much
> more accurate, and installing the package is the goal of the
> instructions.

That paragraph does not describe the 'installation' of the package.
Perhaps 'compile' would be a better choice, however, after reviewing the
rest of the book, it was correct as previously written (at least by
current practice) and will be reverted.  I have a bunch of this kind of
crap in my local copy that sneaked in last night.  I meant to bring up
on dev and never did, same with the removal of the None parts.  They
will be reverted.  I'd like to revisit that discussion at some point,
but  lets wait until the book gets at least X and the two big DEs
compatible with LFS-6.3.

-- DJ Lucas