r7184 - in trunk/BOOK: . introduction/welcome postlfs/filesystems server/major

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Feb 19 21:36:49 PST 2008

Randy McMurchy wrote:

"What a horrible commit!!" or at least he should have ;-)
> Probably wouldn't hurt to update the ChangeLog with the XFS
> version increment.

UGH...that wasn't supposed to go in yet!  I'll save the explanation and
just admit that the simplest solution is often the best. :-)
>> +    <note><para>The test suite is currently broken, in that it will try to
>> +    test against the installed <filename>sshd</filename>,
>>

> Should be <command> tags, probably.

Actually that should have been "installed OpenSSH."  This is mentioned
in the README for the tests.  See below...

> You should run the test suite again after completing the
>
>> +    installation and configuration, without the <parameter>-k</parameter>
>> +    flag.</para></note>
>>

> This really needs to be reworded. It says to run the tests,
> but then it says it is broken and to run them later.
>
> Which is it? Now or later? Running it twice just to see if
> it breaks seems a bit odd.
Actually, it's the other way around, it's broken the first time, but no
matter, see below.
> Seems it would be trivial to change
> the call in the tests to use the newly created sshd.

It's a pretty vague note isn't it?  In order to test the suite properly,
you should run it after installation and configuration, however, that
would probably be a bad suggestion.  My thought was that at least if the
file tests pass, you can be reasonably assured that the build is sane.
You can verify that after installation by running the entire suite.  If
I've lost you, take a look at regress/README.regress where it's
explained in full detail.  I will clean that up in a second and put a
more accurate verbage and check in place shortly.

-- DJ Lucas