r7682 - trunk/BOOK/server/databases

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sun Dec 28 12:57:13 PST 2008

Randy McMurchy wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, how does the encryption work if an SSL package
> has not been installed yet?
>
> Or does this switch just *enable* it and then you also have to explicitly
> specify which SSL package you want enabled?

Honestly, I didn't check without ssl since openssl/openssh are always the first
things I install.  I did note that:

checking for SSL... configure: error: The flag --with-openssl is deprecated, use
--with-ssl

Looking through my log, openssl may not be a dependency.  There is a library
built, libtaocrypt.a, in a directory extra/yassl.

The string lssl and lcrypto are not in the log.

In the tests, I see

main.func_encrypt              [ pass ]             38
main.func_encrypt_nossl        [ skipped ]   Test requires: 'not_openssl'
main.have_openssl_basic        [ pass ]            244

I can't really tell for sure if mysql has its own openssl code or not.  My best
guess is not.