r7662 - in trunk/BOOK: . introduction/welcome multimedia/libdriv multimedia/videoutils

Agathoklis D. Hatzimanikas a.hatzim at gmail.com
Thu Dec 25 00:31:19 PST 2008

On Wed, Dec 24, at 12:20 ken at linuxfromscratch.org wrote:
> Author: ken
> Date: 2008-12-24 12:20:07 -0700 (Wed, 24 Dec 2008)
> New Revision: 7662
>
> Added:
>    trunk/BOOK/multimedia/libdriv/libtheora.xml
> +    <bridgehead renderas="sect4">Recommended</bridgehead>
> +    <para role="optional"><xref linkend="pkgconfig"/>, and

Ken, not that you've got it wrong, but we don't mention pkgconfig
as dependency nowhere else in the BOOK, as we're assuming that is
already installed.
Strange but from a quick look in the book, we don't explicitly say
that pkgconfig must be installed, although we're mentioning
PKG_CONFIG_PATH twice, once in introduction/beyond.html and in
the extrapaths.sh script into postlfs/profile.html page.
Maybe I overlooked it.

As a side note, the environment variable PKG_CONFIG_PATH
is not strictly required to be set in the login shell.
It's only required in the build time, so it can be set either
from scripts or to the parent shell, but I think most distributions
have set it also, so it is just a personal observation, as I think we
have to avoid polluting the environment with useless/unneeded stuff. :)

Regards,
Ag.