r6805 - in trunk/BOOK: . basicnet/mailnews introduction/welcome

Ag. D. Hatzimanikas a.hatzim at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 22:00:51 PDT 2007

On Wed, Jun 13, at 02:58 Dan Nicholson wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 11:19:49AM -0700, Dan Nicholson wrote:
>
> Does this seem OK? (Testing out the SMTP authentication, too :)

<OT> Sometimes I wonder where you find all this patient to deal with us.
Without doubt, Alexander and me must be the worst combination that can
happen to a man that deals with a package in (B)LFS.</OT>

>  <screen><userinput>./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc \
>      --with-docdir=/usr/share/doc/mutt-&mutt-version; \
> -    --enable-pop --enable-imap --enable-smtp &&
> +    --enable-pop --enable-imap &&

Thanks, that you are putting this (smtp) out.
I believe with this way, we still provide a (default) sane and common to
the most users way to build mutt (like they used to do for years), and later
on we give enough explanations for further enhancements (like imap/pop/smtp
under a more secure layer- imaps:// pops:// smtps:// ), without to force
them to enable support for things that (at least) are debatable (like the
newly introduced smtp support).
That's the best compromise that we can do, so sorry that forcing you in a
direction that you (probably) don't agree (I appreciated).

> +    support from <xref linkend="openssl"/> in POP3/IMAP/SMTP if they are
> +    enabled.</para>

One small correction. GnuTLS can be also used in place of openssl.

[Yes, I know we don't have GnuTLS and friends into the book yet.
If I will find time into the summer I will try to push them in, with a way.
I was thinking if it was possible to force applications to link only against
GnuTLS (I know many of them provide this capability -like curl-) when
they need support for secure protocols.
Oh and I know that, the GnuTLS maintainer provided patches to elinks to make
(it) the first web browser that supports TLS 1.2.]

> +    authentication support from <xref linkend="cyrus-sasl"/> in POP3/IMAP/SMTP
> +    if they are enabled. Depending on the server configuration, this may not
> +    be needed for POP3 or IMAP. However, it is needed for SMTP
> +    authentication.</para>

No bad wording! There must a better one though, but because I can't find any,
so it's good enough for me! :)

> +          <para>[dnicholson] - Mutt cleanups from Ag Hatzim.</para>
Garbages.
If you are going to do this anyway, Alexander deserves also this honor! :)