r6805 - in trunk/BOOK: . basicnet/mailnews introduction/welcome

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 11:19:49 PDT 2007

On 6/13/07, Ag. D. Hatzimanikas <a.hatzim at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just substitute /required dependency/strongly recommended/ for sasl and be done
> with this (refer to Alexander's answer).

OK, but I don't agree with your patch as is and will change something.
I believe you're giving too much attention to smtp authentication.
It's really no different than pop or imap. I also checked, and mutt
will cache the password for smtp authentication per session.

> If you want also to say that, it can be compiled against slang is fine, although
> I've never tried with slang and I don't know if it works as reliable as
> it does with ncurses.

What I actually wanted to say was "don't use slang since you don't
need it". But I'm punting this for now.

> Also if you want to mention the --with-ssl switch, to use SSL/TLS for secure connections,
> again it's an extra.

Right now I have entries for --with-ssl and --with-sasl and have
removed --enable-smtp from the defaults. I think that's sufficient.
The sasl entry is hopefully clear enough that SMTP authentication
needs sasl.

--
Dan