r6805 - in trunk/BOOK: . basicnet/mailnews introduction/welcome

Ag. D. Hatzimanikas a.hatzim at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 09:22:11 PDT 2007

On Wed, Jun 13, at 07:24 Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> Ag. D. Hatzimanikas wrote:
> > set smtp_url="smtp://username:mypassword@smtp.gmail.com:587
> > in your muttrc
> >
> > Un-desirable, dangerous and stupid; you have to give your muttrc special
> > permissions.
>
> they are required anyway if I want to store any other password (e.g., IMAP).

For the sake of completeness, the right? (anyway what I think is right) way to
do this (for all the three occasions, POP|SMTP|IMAP) at the current state, is
to put in your muttrc something like:

source ~/.somefile_which_is_readable_only_by_user

and then:
cat > ~/.somefile_which_is_readable_only_by_user << EOF
set smtp_pass="password"
set imap_pass="password"
set pop_pass="password"
EOF
chmod 600 !:2

Obviously, it doesn't apply for the Live-cd, where the casual user will most probably
use mutt to connect to a pop server to check for messages (by the way mutt it works
good enough in Live cd), but it can be used as a start guide to protect the privacy.

About caching passwords - Dan asked about this - I remember I've read something (I am not
sure); I will check and if I find something, I will reply as I think it is quite
important.