r6805 - in trunk/BOOK: . basicnet/mailnews introduction/welcome

Ag. D. Hatzimanikas a.hatzim at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 08:33:32 PDT 2007

On Wed, Jun 13, at 06:44 Dan Nicholson wrote:

> ssl and  sasl are on by default if they're found. Adding it to the command
> explanations implies that it's not on unless you add the switch.

No, the configure script, doesn't picks up them automatically, even though
you pass --with-ssl.

You have to enable _first_ one of POP|IMAP|SMTP and even that, you have
*explicitly* pass --with-ssl.

It's a nightmare!

I think the best solution which also (as Alexander mentioned) conforms
with the Makefile in Live-cd, is to disable smtp support as I've done it in my
patch.

Just substitute /required dependency/strongly recommended/ for sasl and be done
with this (refer to Alexander's answer).

If you want also to say that, it can be compiled against slang is fine, although
I've never tried with slang and I don't know if it works as reliable as
it does with ncurses.
Also if you want to mention the --with-ssl switch, to use SSL/TLS for secure connections,
again it's an extra.

Enough mental power we gave for it; doesn't deserves that much.