r6805 - in trunk/BOOK: . basicnet/mailnews introduction/welcome

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Wed Jun 13 06:56:01 PDT 2007

Dan Nicholson wrote:

> To be fair, the SMTP code has no additional dependencies. The SMTP
> auth code requires one additional dependency, cyrus-sasl. And that's
> no different than if you want to use POP or IMAP with authentication.
> So, for me, it added no dependencies.

> Keep in mind that the --enable-pop and --enable-imap options have been
> in the book for months and it didn't bother anyone that sasl wasn't
> explained, even though it's the exact same issue as SMTP auth.

Where have you seen POP or IMAP without authentication??? It _is_ different.
E.g., without installing Cyrus SASL, I can read my ums.usu.ru mail from home
via IMAP-over-SSL, but can't send anything via SMTP-over-SSL. ums.usu.ru
runs Courier MTA and requires authentication for both IMAP and SMTP.

> I don't mind leaving the SMTP relay support off by default and just
> leaving it in the command explanations. To me, though, it's win-win to
> have --enable-smtp just like --enable-imap. Now I have the flexibility
> to use local or remote mailspool and local or remote MTA.

Indeed.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov