r6805 - in trunk/BOOK: . basicnet/mailnews introduction/welcome

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Wed Jun 13 06:24:33 PDT 2007

Ag. D. Hatzimanikas wrote:
> set smtp_url="smtp://username:mypassword@smtp.gmail.com:587
> in your muttrc
>
> Un-desirable, dangerous and stupid; you have to give your muttrc special
> permissions.

they are required anyway if I want to store any other password (e.g., IMAP).

> The guy in balance in me says, to disable smtp support, and to explicitly mention
> (the --enable-smtp switch) in the Command Explanations, with a note to link it
> against Cyrus SASL, because some common smtp servers like googlemail, use it for
> smtp authentication.

This also matches nicely to what we have on the CD.

> A patch that make use of above thoughts attached.

I agree with it in general, but there is one serious nitpick.

> +    SMTP relay support. It might also adds a required dependency to
> +    <xref linkend="cyrus-sasl"/>, because some smtp servers use SASL

This doesn't qualify for "required dependency". By definition, "required" =
"the package doesn't build without it". Look, even libjpeg is not required
by GTK2. So, this is "strongly recommended", not "required".

>      dependencies.</para>

Maybe: tells Mutt to make use of optional dependencies?

--
Alexander E. Patrakov