r6805 - in trunk/BOOK: . basicnet/mailnews introduction/welcome

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Tue Jun 12 21:28:18 PDT 2007

dnicholson at linuxfromscratch.org wrote:

>  <screen><userinput>./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc \
> +    --with-docdir=/usr/share/doc/mutt-&mutt-version; \
> +    --enable-pop --enable-imap --enable-smtp &&

Sorry Dan, but I disagree with your comment in Trac: "I also left out the
--with-sasl since none of the other --with-* args are explained. Hopefully
you know that if you need SMTP auth, you need sasl."

For me, this bit of knowledge looks non-obvious. I used msmtp on the CD
before --enable-smtp got added, and it didn't need SASL for SMTP
authentication. I think that many Mutt users follow the thame line of
thought. Moreover, from Trac comments, it looks like it took Ag two rebuilds
to figure this out.

I oppose to having commands with such trap in the book, i.e. ideally they
must work from the first attempt.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov