r6475 - in trunk/BOOK: introduction/welcome pst/ps

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Jan 28 10:15:25 PST 2007

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Randy McMurchy wrote these words on 01/28/07 09:29 CST:
>
>> dj at linuxfromscratch.org wrote these words on 01/28/07 01:59 CST:
>>
>>> Log:
>>> Removed modification of jai source file in fop instructions.
>>>
>> I cannot see where this actually does anything except move the
>> JAI file from the build directory to the root of the FOP source
>> tree. Which actually, does nothing. I'm thinking about reverting
>> the change, or does this change actually *do* anything, and I've
>> overlooked it?
>>

> Revisiting this as there's a broken URL in the instructions as well
> (a new version of FOP has finally been released).
>
> I'm even more inclined now to revert DJ's change, as the way it is
> now, we leave the *broken* JAI tarball on the system. The way it
> was, the tarball is left *fixed*. So, unless there's something I'm
> missing here, I cannot see what benefit the change does, at the
> expense of adding an additional command to the instructions.
>
> Can anyone provide a clue on what I may be missing?

OK...that's better.  Now I can reply...that was odd.  Anyway, Yes.  The
reason for the change is that the previous instruction edited the
downloaded file directly.  We don't do this. A second pass would mean an
alternate set of instructions for those who build from their sources
directories.  In this particular case, running the sed again is
completely harmless, however, precedence was set March 14th, 2006 by
Bruce in the binary JDK installation.  I had seen the same issue in fop
so I 'fixed' it.

-- DJ Lucas

believed to be clean.