r6452 - in trunk/BOOK: general/sysutils gnome/add introduction/welcome

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Sun Jan 21 20:25:28 PST 2007

On 1/21/07, Randy McMurchy <randy at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> dnicholson at linuxfromscratch.org wrote these words on 01/21/07 13:42 CST:
>
> > +    <systemitem class="username">root</systemitem> user you should add the
> > +    <filename class='directory'>$GNOME_PREFIX/share/dbus-1/services</filename>
> > +    directory to the local session configuration as described in the
> > +    <xref linkend="dbus"/> configuration section.</para>
>
> Instead of this, could we put the actual commands to use? Would it
> be much trouble? I mean, almost every instruction we have in the
> book is documented somewhere, we could probably eliminate 95% of
> the BLFS instructions by creating generic instructions and pointing
> folks either there or the package's docs.

I agree with what you're saying. The problem is that there's no
definitive command to use since the configuration file
(/etc/dbus-1/session-local.conf) may or may not exist already. And
since it's XML markup, you can't just give one line to add. The only
thing I can think of is to say "add
<servicedir>$GNOME_PREFIX/share/dbus-1/services</servicedir> according
to the method described in the D-Bus configuration section". Cause
there's the whole DTD preamble and an existing <busconfig> section,
etc. Let me know what you think and we'll try to make it a little more
usable.

--
Dan