r6440 - in trunk/BOOK: general/prog introduction/welcome

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Sat Jan 20 22:31:45 PST 2007

Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> Also, you characterize the files as "UTF-8 encoded manual pages."  I
> think that is slightly misleading.  I would say "manual pages with a few
> embedded non-ASCII characters."

The original description is correct. We won't touch English manual pages
that contain correct non-ASCII characters if interpreted as ISO-8859-1
(because Man-DB interprets them this way). Yes, for English manual pages
this usually means correcting small typos.

As for the precedent set in Shadow instructions, this is absolutely
necessary for Russian. "Файл /etc/passwd содержит учётные записи
пользователей" is a meaningful phrase, saying "The /etc/passwd file contains
user accounts". If we forgot to convert, Man-DB would display this as
"п╓п╟п╧п╩ /etc/passwd я│п╬п╢п╣я─п╤п╦я┌ я┐я┤я▒я┌п╫я▀п╣ п╥п╟п©п╦я│п╦
п©п╬п╩я▄п╥п╬п╡п╟я┌п╣п╩п╣п╧" which is just glibberish that nobody can read.

Info pages are usually not affected, because they are written in English,
and (as mentioned above) incorrect display of any non-ASCII characters would
just mean small typos.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov